- England has a population of approximately 53 million (Office for National Statistics, 2012)
- In 2013, there were 4,722 suicides in England (includes those aged 15 and over) (Samaritans Suicide Statistics Report, 2015)
- The National Suicide Prevention Strategy for England was launched in September 2002
- For more recent information regarding suicide prevention in England please click here and here
- Wales has a population of approximately 3.1 million (Office for National Statistics, 2012)
- In 2013, there were 393 suicides in Wales (includes those aged 15 and over) (Samaritans Suicide Statistics Report, 2015)
Websites and points of contact
Note: The links are provided as a convenience only and should not be taken as an endorsement of any website, content, product or service. Visits to linked websites are at your own risk.
www.ageconcern.org.uk: Age Concern is an independent, recognised charity working to help make the lives of older people more secure, comfortable, dignified and enjoyable.
Many of the websites and points of contact relevant to England can be found by clicking here
www.callhelpline.org.uk: CALL offers emotional support and information/literature on mental health and related matters to the people of Wales.
www.childline.org.uk: ChildLine Cymru/Wales has counselling centres in Swansea and Rhyl providing a free bilingual telephone helpline for children and young people across the whole of Wales.
www.cliconline.co.uk: for young people 11 to 25 in Wales. If you need information, think CLIC! It has loads of info from sport to money, health to travel and lots more.
www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk: if you are concerned about your health and wellbeing this site will help you to answer your personal health queries. This site also provides details of a 24 hour nurse-led telephone advice service run by NHS Wales.
www.mentalhealthwales.net: Mental Health Wales offers a set of useful links together with a library of information for mental health professionals, clinicians, individuals. Hafal can be accessed via this website. Hafal is Wales’ leading charity for people with severe mental illness and their carers. Hafal covers all 22 Local Health Board areas of Wales.
www.wwamh.org.uk : West Wales Action for mental Health is a mental health development project, providing a range of services to voluntary groups, carers and individuals who have used or are using mental health services and living in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire.
England and Wales
www.mind.org.uk: The National Association for Mental Health in the United Kingdom campaigns on behalf of those with mental illness. There are around 200 local Mind associations (LMAs) in England and Wales.